Monday, October 02, 2006

Comox Orientation!

So this will be the first entry, and quite quick. I have no clue how to use blogs, but everyone here seems to so hopefully everything will work. I have been in Comox on Vancouver Island since Friday. I have met all the other interns and volunteers (14 of us total). Everyone is super Canadian! Luckily, I have the Canadian know-how to blend in seamlessly. (thanks to my parents and CV for that one....oh and you McGill folks)

I will give you more detailed explations on who everyone is when I feel like it. I figure bios may come when pictures come. We have been trying to become more oriented this week, as you may have guessed. This has entailed speaking with previous interns and doing some really lame interactive games where we learn about how to interact with other cultures. Part of me doubts how effective playing a silent card game (with white people) will be in helping me relate to Ugandans, but hey, I've never been, so maybe it's exactly what I'll do there all the time. Alright, I'll admit it did make a good point and I'm sure I am a far better IEP (Interculturally Effective Person).

I will be working in a place called Rubingo, which is a tiny rural village in a big ass valley. Actually I think it might be on a hill. Whatever. I think my tasks there will involve following up on the previous interns work. I'll be assessing the...wait, i think it's ON a hill IN a valley.......anyway, I'll be assessing the success of some fuel efficient stoves that they put in. Greg! Remember how we talked about the air pollution etc, these put the smoke outside the huts, so they wont breathe in all the smoke! The people were apparently really excited about this, but we have no idea if they use them at all or if they just look at them.

So I (and all white people there) will be referred to as Muzungus, (i will check the spelling) and apparently all the little kids come running out screaming that. I'll give you more info on the actual interaction as I receive it.

I am leaving on Saturday morning, and will have sporadic internet access thereafter. Hope everything is going well with all of you....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home